This page has been automatically translated from French into English by a translation software. Automatic translations are not as accurate as translations made by professional human translators. Nevertheless these pages can help you understand information published by the City of Brussels.
Brussels was born around 979. The development of the city is marked by 3 big periods. The first one is situated between the 11th and the first half of the 12th century, the second one between the 13th and the 14th century and the last one between the 17th and the 18th century.
At the end of the 10th century, the current territory of Belgium belonged, partially to the emperor of the Germanic Saint Empire (roughly, south half of the country) and to the king of France (roughly, north half of the country). The emperor Otton III wished to watch the count of Flanders, vassal of the king of France, and to prevent him from entering his Empire. He thus handed over lands to his vassal, the duke of Basse-Lotharingie, asking him to build a fort there.
The natural site of the islands of Senne, defended by the river and the swamps, appeared to agree perfectly. Charles of France, duke of Basse-Lotharingie, installed a fort here around 979.
Next to this fort the city of Brussels originated. The site attracted lots of traders. In the North, the river became indeed navigable. They installed a little port there, a modest hamlet where inhabitants settled for their agricultural and commercial activities.
In the military and state-owned fort a port emerged, which attracted the inhabitants. A square was converted into a market. It took the name of Nedermerct, the origin of the future Grand-Place. This stage of pre-urban development is situated between 1000 and 1150.
Around the same time, on one of the hills around the Senne, the church Saint Michel was built, in the place of a former Carolingian church and near a village. On another hill, in the Coudenberg, the count of Louvain, heir of the rights of the duke of Basse-Lotharingie, built a castle. The fort of the 10th century was abandoned.
For what motive? Did the count wish, for strategic reasons, to move his housing environment on a hill? Or did he look for a more pleasant place, away from the urban community? Historians and archaeologists wonder.
The urban nucleus grows between these three zones: the port, the church Saint Michel and the castle of the Coudenberg. A population absorbed in commercial, craft and rural activities, settled down at first on the right bank, in front of the islands, then extended also eastwards of the hill of the Coudenberg, to avoid the floods.
A first wall was built around the village in the 12th century. Certain historians place it at the beginning of the century, the others toward the end. The wall had a length of 4 kilometres with 50 towers and 7 doors. Some of these can still be seen in the city today.
In the 13th and 14th century, this wall became too narrow to contain all the population. Worker districts had even been established outside. The increase of the population was explained by a demand of manpower, justified by the prosperity of the local industries. So, one second wall was built in the 4th quarter of the 14th century. It would contain the population of the city till the end of the 18th century.
In the 17th and 18th century, the increase of the urban populating entailed the reproduction and the diversification of markets, the creation of specialized markets and market halls. Most of the markets occupied spaces around the Grand-Place. The most cumbersome markets were held near the first wall. The first halls must have been built in the 13th century. They became vaster or more numerous from the 14th century onwards.
The first public buildings appeared later. The construction of a belfry and a modest municipal hall took place only in the course of the 14th century, on the Grand-Place. In the bend of the 14th and 15th century, this first municipal hall was replaced by what constitutes the left wing of the current Gothic building today. The right wing was built in the middle of the 15th century.
The bombardment of Brussels
At the end of the 17th century, a drama happened in the city of Brussels: the bombardment of the city by the French people during the campaigns of Louis XIV against Spain. The evaluations of the scale of the disaster diverge a little, but it seems that some 3.800 houses, 11 churches and numerous convents were destroyed. Hundreds of houses were badly damaged. Approximately a quarter of the city was in ruin. The disaster especially struck the centre. The Grand-Place was ravaged. On the other hand, the cathedral Saint Michel was saved, as well as the district of the palace.
Less than 40 years later, in 1731, a violent fire destroyed the palace of the Coudenberg. We did not reconstruct it immediately. The architecture of the palace did not correspond to the tastes of the time anymore. This destruction prepared the start for the development of the district of the current Place royale. The whole took got a neo-classic style.
According to: SMOLAR-MEYNART and J. STENGERS (s dir. of), La Région de Bruxelles. Des villages d’autrefois à la ville d’aujourd’hui, (Brussels), municipal Credit of Belgium, 1989, p. 45-79 (synthesis of the Unit of didactics in history of the UCL)
From 21 August 2014 to 3 May 2015 at the Museum of the City of Brussels.
On 2, 3 and 4 December 2014 at 12:30 pm at the Costume and Lace Museum. In French.
On 9 and 11 December 2014 at 12:30 pm at the Costume and Lace Museum. In Dutch.
The City Hall, remarkable both by its architectural wealth and by its political and social meaning, has some amazing paintings, sculptures, art objects and Brussels tapestries.
Open every day from 10 am till 5 pm. Visits by appointment.
The Maison du Roi has lots of paintings, sculptures, tapestries, ceramics, china, silverware, prints, drawings, models,... Most of them deal with the history of Brussels. Others are there to be admired because of their high artistic reputation.
Crypt visits are only possible on inquiry by post or e-mail to Volunteers of Brussels 1830.
The Crypt of the Place des Martyrs symbolizes the sacrifice of 466 persons who died in the fights of September 23rd, 24th and 25th for the Independence of Belgium.
Choose your best price for gas and electricity
The Federal Economy Service organizes - in cooperation with the municipalities - the 'Dare to Compare' campaign. This campaign should help citizens to choose their most advantageous gas and electricity supplier. The City of Brussels offers this service from 20 to 29 November 2014.