This page has been automatically translated from French into English by a translation software. Automatic translations are not as accurate as translations made by professional human translators. Nevertheless these pages can help you understand information published by the City of Brussels.
There are several procedures to become Belgian.
These procedures are:
- naturalization, granted by the Federal Parliament on the basis of exceptional merit or to stateless
- the declaration of acquisition based on birth in Belgium
- the declaration of acquisition based on a legal residence of 5 years in Belgium, the knowledge of one of the 3 national languages and social and economic integration
- the declaration of acquisition on the basis of marriage with a Belgian, a legal residence of 5 years in Belgium, the knowledge of one of the 3 national languages and social integration
- the declaration of acquisition for the parent of a minor child, based on a legal residence of 5 years in Belgium, the knowledge of one of the 3 national languages and social integration
- the declaration of acquisition for a person with disabilities or a disabled who can prove his or her inability to work
- the declaration of acquisition for a person who has reached the age of retirement based on a legal residence of 5 years in Belgium
- the declaration of acquisition on the basis of a legal stay of 10 years in Belgium, the knowledge of one of the 3 national languages and an active participation in the life of the welcoming community
- the attribution to children of less than 5 years, born abroad, from which the Belgian father was also born abroad and Belgian before the birth of the child
- the attribution to a child under the age of 12, born in Belgium and having its main home in Belgium since his birth and with parents who are staying in Belgium for at least 10 years (one parent has to have an unlimited legal stay)
- the statement of attribution following adoption
- the regaining of the Belgian nationality
The demands of naturalization can be introduced:
- at the service of Naturalizations of the House of Representatives (Rue de Louvain 48 - 1000 Brussels - Tel: 02 549 93 00)
- at the municipality (Nationalities service), which hands the file over to the federal service of Naturalizations
The naturalization file is free of charge.
Documents and duration?
More information about the naturalization process on the website of the Chamber (in French).
Demands of acquisition or attribution of the Belgian nationality
The demands of acquisition or attribution of the Belgian nationality must be introduced at the municipal administration.
- paying the registration fee at the Registration Office in the Rue de la Régence 54 - 1000 Brussels: 150 euro
- for the demand of acquisition of the Belgian nationality: 50 euro (to be paid by Bancontact/Mister Cash preferably)
- for the demand of attribution of the Belgian nationality for children of less than 5 years born in another country and from a Belgian father who was born in another country as well, for children of less than 12 years born in Belgium and after adoption: 50 euro (to be paid by Bancontact//Mister Cash preferably)
The required documents vary according to the legal base of the demand. It is advised to address the competent service for detailed information.
Each document that comes from abroad must be legalized and translated.
For these procedures the delay is 5 to 8 months.
The procedure is finished immediately for children of less than 5 years born in another country and from a Belgian father who was born in another country as well, and after adoption.
Boulevard Anspach 6
Tel. : 02 279 34 61
Fax : 02 279 35 74
Telephone hours : from Monday till Friday from 8:30 am till 4 pm
Maps of the new Pentagon circulation plan
The maps of the new mobility plan for the Pentagon (city centre) got an update in January 2015. Discover the maps with the comfort zone, the city cycling network, the bus routes and the circulation plan.