This page has been automatically translated from French into English by a translation software. Automatic translations are not as accurate as translations made by professional human translators. Nevertheless these pages can help you understand information published by the City of Brussels.
On Thursday 17 and Friday 18 December 2015, a European Summit of the Heads of state and Government of the European Union will be held in Brussels in the buildings of the Council of the European Union, at the Rue de la Loi. A safety zone will be set up. Only authorized persons can enter this zone on foot.
The Avenue de Cortenbergh and the Reyers Tunnel direction centre will be closed from 17 December at 9:30 am. The end of the road closures is scheduled on 18 December in the afternoon.
The limits of the safety zone?
The safety zone (PNG, 0,53MB) will be closed on 17 December (from 1:45 pm) and 18 December:
- Traffic circle Schuman [plan]
- Rue Froissart, between the Rue Juste Lipse and the Traffic circle Schuman [plan]
- Rue de la Loi, between the Traffic circle Schuman and 'Residence Palace' [plan]
- Rue Juste Lipse [plan]
Attention: only vehicles authorized by the services of the Council of the European Union and the police will have access. Deliveries will not be possible.
Who can enter the safety zone?
Following people can enter the safety zone on foot, on the footpaths at the side of the buildings, not at the side of the Justus Lipsius building:
- the local residents with their ID card
- the employees and the shopkeepers with a police certificate delivered by the employer
- every person with a pass
Where to obtain a 'pass' or certificate?
The demands can be downloaded at www.polbru.be/eurotop and must be sent electronically to the police station of the 5th division of the Police of Brussels Capital Ixelles, Boulevard Clovis 10 - 1000 Brussels - 02 279 85 35 or 02 279 85 36 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The passes will be available there from 7 December 2015 (possibly after the necessary checks).
Some streets will get a local traffic regulation:
- rue Archimède between the rue Stévin and the rond-point Schuman [plan]
- avenue de Cortenberg, between the rue Stévin and the rond-point Schuman [plan]
- rue de la Loi, between the avenue de la Joyeuse Entrée and the rond-point Schuman [plan]
- avenue d'Auderghem, between the rue Belliard and the rond-point Schuman [plan]
- rue Breydel [plan]
Parking will be forbidden
- in the safety zone
- in the streets with local traffic
- Chaussée d'Etterbeek [plan], between the Rue Belliard [plan] and the Rue Van Maerlant [plan]
- Rue Van Maerlant [plan]
- Rue Belliard [plan], between the Chaussée d'Etterbeek and the Avenue d'Auderghem (side of Brussels) [plan]
People who live in the safety zone are asked not to put their garbage bags outside on 17 and 18 December.
- the bus lines of the STIB and De Lijn that drive through the perimeter, are diverted
- the Schuman metro station is closed (the metro does not stop at the station)
- the Brussels Schuman railway station is not accessible to travelers from Thursday 17 December at 1 pm until Friday 18 December 2015 (midnight)
More information: from 7 December, from Monday till Friday from 8 am till 6 pm and on Saturday from 8 am till noon at 02 279 85 35 or 36 or www.polbru.be
Boulevard Clovis 10
Tel. : 02 279 85 10
Fax : 02 279 85 09
Opening hours : every day from 7:00 am till 10:00 pm