This page has been automatically translated from French into English by a translation software. Automatic translations are not as accurate as translations made by professional human translators. Nevertheless these pages can help you understand information published by the City of Brussels.
The City of Brussels states that by virtue of the law of 30 July 1979 relative to the prevention of fires and explosions, certain traders are obliged to take a liability insurance in case of fire or explosion.
The traders which belong to one of the categories mentioned below need to have a third-party liability insurance in order to respect the law of 30 July 1979.
Traders with compulsory liability
- dance halls, discos and all the public places for dancing
- restaurants, chip shops and other bars, when the total surface open to the public is at least 50 m2
- hotels and motels of a capacity of at least 4 rooms and being able to welcome at least 10 customers
- stores for retailing with premises that have a surface of at least 1000 m2
- youth hostels
- artistic cabarets and circuses
- cinemas and theatres
- cultural centres
- multi-purpose halls, in particular for shows, public meetings and sports events
- sporting rooms
- shooting galleries
- trade fairs and showrooms
- closed fairground installations of which the total surface open to the public is at least 100m2
- inflatable structures
- shopping malls with an accessible total surface of at least 1000 m2
- amusement parks
- hospitals and health care centres
- service flats, residential complexes which propose services and rest homes for the elderly
- buildings for education and vocational trainings
- office blocks of which the total surface open to the public is at least 500 m2
- stations, all the installations of metros and airports
- buildings of worship of which the total surface open to the public is at least 1000 m2
- legal courts
More information: service of Legal Affairs of the City of Brussels: 02 279 20 20
Disrupted access to the Administrative Centre
On 29 and 30 September and 1 October 2014, the Population and Identity Cards services (2nd floor of the Administrative Centre) will be exceptionally closed due to works.