Campaign 'No excuses! Adjust your speed, give pedestrians priority'
The City of Brussels has launched a campaign to improve pedestrian safety in the city centre. 'No excuses!' is the slogan of the new campaign, which gives priority to pedestrians.
As a pedestrian, you have absolute priority in most places in the centre of Brussels. Are you by bike, scooter or car? With this checklist you keep it safe and pleasant for everyone. And we can all enjoy the city centre to the maximum.
- Always give pedestrians priority. All the time? Yes! Even if you have an urgent appointment or have to run some errands, pedestrians have priority.
- Adjust your speed and also your driving behavior to the people around you. Especially if there are a lot of people on the street. Children playing, families taking a walk, older people who are less mobile... everyone should feel safe.
- Be doubly careful when overtaking, crossing or suddenly changing direction.
- Always keep your eyes on the road, not on your smartphone. Most of all, enjoy your walk.
- And last but not least: always remain courteous to other road users.
- Flyer 'No excuses! Adjust your speed, give pedestrians priority' (PDF, 704.80 KB) (in French and Dutch)
Next video shows the 'No excuses! Adjust your speed, give pedestrians priority' campaign (the video contains dialogue and subititles in French):