Face mask in Brussels
Wearing a face mask is mandatory throughout the territory of the Brussels-Capital Region (till Wednesday 30 September 2020). From Thursday 1 October 2020, wearing a mask is mandatory when it is not possible to respect the safety distance.
From Thursday 1 October 2020, next measures will apply in the Brussels Capital Region:
- obligation to always have a face mask with you
- wearing a mask is compulsory in all cases when it is impossible for its holder to respect the safety distances
Measures on the territory of the City of Brussels
Everyone from the age of 12 years is obliged to cover their mouth and nose with a face mask or any other alternative in cloth (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) in shopping streets and/or busy places according to the following map:
- Face mask map City of Brussels (PDF, 533.81 KB)
Wearing a mouth mask is also mandatory:
- in the immediate vicinity of a school (during opening hours)
- for anyone who brings or collects children at the school gate
- Police Ordinance of the Mayor - face mask obligation (PDF, 197.04 KB) (in French and Dutch)
Why wear face masks?
More information about (the obligation to wear) face masks: