Face mask required in Brussels
Wearing a face mask is mandatory throughout the territory of the Brussels-Capital Region (since Wednesday 12 August 2020).
Everyone aged 12 years or older is obliged to wear a mouth mask that covers the nose and mouth in all public places and private places accessible to the public throughout the Brussels-Capital Region.
- obligation to always have a face mask with you
- obligation to wear that mask in shopping areas and around schools
The regulations do provide for a few exceptions. No face mask is required:
- during sports
- when performing intensive physical work on public roads
- for people with disabilities that prevent them from wearing a mask or a face shield
- for cyclists and (kick) scooter users (when they move on public roads and social distancing can be observed, cyclists must always have a face mask with them so that they can use it if the situation requires it)
Social distancing must always be observed.
When it is not possible to wear a mouth mask or a fabric alternative for medical reasons, a face shield may be used.
Police checks are also being strengthened to enforce this measure and all other measures issued by the National Security Council on 27 July 2020.
- FAQ face mask required (PDF, 524.21 KB) (in French)
- FAQ face mask required (PDF, 214.09 KB) (in Dutch)
Why wear face masks?
More information about (the obligation to wear) face masks: