Face mask required: new measures (extension)
After the announcements of the National Security Council, the City of Brussels decided to make a series of adjustments regarding the health measures.
Since Tuesday 4 August 2020, everyone from the age of 12 is obliged to cover the nose and mouth with a mouth mask, or any other alternative in fabric, at the following places determined by the local government:
- Rue Neuve
- Rue Marie-Christine
- Rue De Wand
- Avenue de la Brise
- Avenue Wannecouter
- Avenue de Busleyden
- Avenue Stalingrad
- Rue du Bailli
- Boulevard de Waterloo
- Avenue de la Toison d'Or
- Avenue Louise
- Marolles quarter
- pedestrian zone
- Sainte-Catherine quarter
- Rue Marché au Charbon
- Rue de l'Amigo
- Rue de la Violette
- Rue Duquesnoy
- Rue du Chêne
- Rue des Moineaux
- Rue du Midi (until the crossroads with the Rue des Moineaux)
Wearing a mask is also mandatory on all markets, flea markets and fairgrounds.
The City of Brussels also recalls that it is the responsibility of the citizens to protect themselves with a mouth mask if the circumstances or the crowds do not allow the rules of social distancing to be respected. Failure to respect the rules of distance will also be fined in such situations.
The measures prescribed by this ordinance are applicable 7 days a week, 24 hours a day and as long as the Ministerial Decree of 24 July 2020 and its successive modifications are in force.
More information about (the obligation to wear) face masks:
Restaurants, cafes and customer registration
The restaurants and cafes have to keep a register of their customers. More info and a form are available at:
The Horeca Federation also offers you a solution based on a QR code to be scanned by the customer:
This measure also applies to the following places:
- wellness centres
- group sports lessons
- swimming pools
- casinos and automatic gambling halls
- reception and party rooms
Night shops have to close at 10 pm throughout the city.
- Police Ordinance of the Mayor implementing Article 11 of the Ministerial Decree of 24 July 2020 (PDF, 256.48 KB) (extension 3)
- Police Ordinance of the Mayor implementing Article 11 of the Ministerial Decree of 24 July 2020 (PDF, 267.11 KB) (extension 2) + Plan rue Marie-Christine (PDF, 261.76 KB) + Plan rue De Wand (PDF, 250.56 KB) + Plan avenue de Stalingrad (PDF, 194.62 KB) + Plan avenue Louise (PDF, 191.50 KB) + Plan Marolles quarter (PDF, 322.25 KB) + Plan pedestrian zone (PDF, 548.09 KB) + Plan Sainte-Catherine quarter (PDF, 239.37 KB)
- Police Ordinance of the Mayor implementing Article 11 of the Ministerial Decree of 24 July 2020 (PDF, 446.77 KB) (extension 1)