New test for the mobility at the Bois de la Cambre
The City of Brussels and the Brussels Capital Region are jointly setting up a test for the mobility at the Bois de la Cambre (Ter Kamerenbos). The new mobility plan will come into effect on Monday 14 September 2020, for a period of 2 months.
After various consultation moments between the municipalities involved, it was decided to start testing the new mobility plan for the Bois de la Cambre:
The new plan includes:
- Motorized traffic is allowed at the Bois de la Cambre on the Avenue de Diane, in the section between the Avenue Louise and the Avenue de la Belle Alliance. Traffic on the Avenue de Diane will run in both directions with 2 lanes in the direction of the city centre and one lane to the south. This measure thus guarantees a smooth north-south, but also east-west flow of motorized traffic.
- The redevelopment of the intersection of the Chaussée de la Hulpe with the Avenue Franklin Roosevelt. It was decided to adapt this intersection because the Avenue Franklin Roosevelt offers the possibility to receive the extra flow of car traffic towards the centre. For example, the traffic pressure on the Chausseé de Waterloo will be relieved. On the Chaussée de la Hulpe, 2 pre-sorting areas will be added towards the Avenue Franklin Roosevelt and an exit lane (to the right) towards Watermael-Boitsfort. The traffic lights will be better adjusted, increasing the fluidity of the intersection by 300 vehicles per hour. The traffic lights at the intersection of the Drève de Lorraine with the Chaussée de la Hulpe will also be better adjusted to ensure a better traffic flow to the centre.
- The southern loop of the Bois de la Cambre, but also the Avenue de Flore and Avenue de la Laiterie will only be accessible for pedestrians, cyclists or walkers (function of green space and relaxation area)
- The entire Bois de la Cambre is car-free on Sundays (as is the case since May 2020)
- Improving the supply of public transport, by, among other things, ensuring a smoother flow of bus 41 via the Avenue de Boitsfort and Avenue du Brésil. This axis is also used by:
- the school buses of the European School, the International School of Brussels and the Lycée Français
- disabled transport organized by the PHARE service of the COCOF
- emergency vehicles
Evaluations are carried out during the entire test period. For example, there will be a count of the number of vehicles at the Bois de la Cambre, the surrounding axes and in the streets in the municipalities of the City of Brussels, Ixelles and Uccle that are located in the vicinity of the forest. If necessary, the measures can be adjusted.