Support measures for traders
Several support measures have been taken at the federal, regional and municipal level to minimize the economic impact of the coronavirus.
All traders, including food and street vendors, can apply for:
- Deferral of payment of VAT, withholding tax, social security contributions, personal income tax and corporate income tax
- A replacement income for the self-employed (bridging right)
- Temporary unemployment for companies
Shops and traders that had to close following Article 1 of the Ministerial Decree of 23 March 2020, including the restaurants that offer take-away meals and the hotels, as well as street vendors and hairdressers that were obliged to close from 24 March, can apply for:
- A one-off premium of 4,000 euros, for companies that employ less than 50 full-time equivalents (FTE): Covid-19 bonus (in French)
- For companies that employ more than 50 FTE, the Brussels government wants to offer loans through Finance&invest.brussels that better meet the specific needs of these companies
- Administrative support to traders to complete their formalities (by 1819)
- Strengthening of the microcredit (Brusoc Recover): granting cash credits of up to 15,000 euros at a limited interest rate to self-employed persons, 'micro-enterprises' and social economy organizations
- a compensatory Covid-19 premium of 2,000 euros for 'micro-enterprises' that were not eligible for other measures: Covid-19 bonus (in French)
- Covid-19: what support measures for bars & restaurants in Brussels? (PDF, 178.69 KB) (in French)
Private rental agreement?
Are you bound by a private rental agreement for your business or office and don't know how to approach your owner in light of your difficulties? For further legal advice or assistance, please contact:
At the municipal level, various support measures are proposed to support traders:
- Suspension of the collection of commercial rents by the Property Management Agency and the Public Welfare Centre (CPAS-OCMW) for the months of April and May 2020
- Taxes for markets, kiosks and itinerant traders are not claimed in the same period
- The annual terrace fee is also reduced by 50% to support cafes and restaurants
- Answer all their questions via the free number 0800 20 035, available from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm (except on holidays)
- Provide training to digitize their economic activity through a training platform for traders wishing to start their e-commerce
It concerns a first series of measures that are supplemented by additional measures and a 'post-crisis' plan.