Transfer of certificates from abroad

As a Belgian registered at the City of Brussels you have the option to transfer a foreign certificate of the Civil Registry (birth and marriage), which relates to you, to the records of the Civil Registry. It is possible to get a 'marriage booklet' in the context of a transfer of a marriage certificate.

Coronavirus measures: the counters of the Change of Civil Status Service are open from Monday to Friday, by appointment only. Call the service or send an e-mail before making an appointment. If the situation does not allow it, this prevents you from getting to the counter unnecessarily.

The service is available:

How to apply?

Only by appointment:

Required documents

  • ID document (+ mandate and a copy of the identity document of the person concerned if the application is made by a third party)
  • Original certificate, possibly translated by a certified translator and legalized by apostille if necessary


  • 50 euro (payment preferably with Bancontact)
  • 25 euro for the marriage booklet

Waiting period

  • One month