This page has been automatically translated from French into English by a translation software. Automatic translations are not as accurate as translations made by professional human translators. Nevertheless these pages can help you understand information published by the City of Brussels.
On Thursday 15 and Friday 16 October 2015, a European Summit of the Heads of state and Government of the European Union will be held in Brussels in the buildings of the Council of the European Union, at the Rue de la Loi. A safety zone will be set up. Only authorized persons can enter this zone on foot. Protests will lead to extra traffic measures on 15 October.
The Reyers tunnel (direction centre) will be closed on 15 October from 11 am till the end of the summit.
The limits of the safety zone?
The safety zone (PNG, 0,53MB) will be closed on 15 and 16 October:
- Traffic circle Schuman [plan]
- Rue Froissart, between the Rue Juste Lipse and the Traffic circle Schuman [plan]
- Rue de la Loi, between the Traffic circle Schuman and 'Residence Palace' [plan]
- Rue Juste Lipse [plan]
Attention: only vehicles authorized by the services of the Council of the European Union and the police will have access. Deliveries will not be possible.
Who can enter the safety zone?
Following people can enter the safety zone on foot, on the footpaths at the side of the buildings, not at the side of the Justus Lipsius building:
- the local residents with their ID card
- the employees and the shopkeepers with a police certificate delivered by the employer
- every person with a pass
Where to obtain a 'pass' or certificate?
The demands can be downloaded at www.polbru.be/eurotop and must be sent electronically to the police station of the 5th division of the Police of Brussels Capital Ixelles, Boulevard Clovis 10 - 1000 Brussels - 02 279 85 35 or 02 279 85 36 or email@example.com. The passes will be available there from 5 October 2015 (possibly after the necessary checks).
Some streets will get a local traffic regulation:
- rue Archimède between the rue Stévin and the rond-point Schuman [plan]
- avenue de Cortenberg, between the rue Stévin and the rond-point Schuman [plan]
- rue de la Loi, between the avenue de la Joyeuse Entrée and the rond-point Schuman [plan]
- avenue d'Auderghem, between the rue Belliard and the rond-point Schuman [plan]
- rue Breydel [plan]
Parking will be forbidden
- in the safety zone
- in the streets with local traffic
- Chaussée d'Etterbeek [plan], between the Rue Belliard [plan] and the Rue Van Maerlant [plan]
- Rue Van Maerlant [plan]
- Rue Belliard [plan], between the Chaussée d'Etterbeek and the Avenue d'Auderghem (side of Brussels) [plan]
Protests on 15 October
It is also possible that some roads will be blocked during demonstrations on 15 October (between 1 pm and 5 pm). It concerns the following streets:
- Boulevard Charlemagne
- end of the Rue Franklin
- Rue Archimède (completely)
- Rue Belliard, between the Avenue d'Auderghem and the Chaussée d'Etterbeek
Once the demonstrators occupy the intersection Belliard/Froissart, traffic at the Rue Belliard will be diverted in the direction of the Belliard tunnel (direction E40 and Cinquantenaire).
The Schuman metro station will be open.
People who live in the safety zone are asked not to put their garbage bags outside on 15 and 16 October 2015.
- the bus lines of the STIB and De Lijn that drive through the perimeter, are diverted
- the Schuman metro station will be open
More information: from 5 October, from Monday till Friday from 8 am till 6 pm and on Saturday from 8 am till noon at 02 279 85 35 or 36 or www.polbru.be
Boulevard Clovis 10
Tel. : 02 279 85 10
Fax : 02 279 85 09
Opening hours : every day from 7:00 am till 10:00 pm