'Animal-friendly Municipality' label
The City of Brussels has obtained the 'Animal-friendly Municipality' label for the 3rd year in a row. This label is awarded by the Brussels Capital Region for animal welfare initiatives at municipal level.
The City of Brussels was awarded the label by meeting the following criteria:
- A municipal officer for animal welfare
- An animal welfare expert within the police: External site Brussels Capital Ixelles police zone
- Creation of dog areas: dog toilets and dog areas
- Management of stray cats: found animals
- Granting of a sterilisation premium for domestic cats: bonus for the sterilisation of cats and dogs
- Management of lost, wandering or abandoned animals (24 hours a day, 7 days a week): found animals
- Information and awareness-raising on animal welfare: animal welfare
- Municipal website: animal welfare
The conditions for maintaining the label are checked annually.