This page has been automatically translated from French into English by a translation software. Automatic translations are not as accurate as translations made by professional human translators. Nevertheless these pages can help you understand information published by the City of Brussels.
On Sunday 18 September 2016, Brussels organizes its traditional Car Free Sunday. From 9:30 am till 7 pm, car traffic is not allowed in the Brussels Region, including the City of Brussels. The ban applies to all motorized vehicles (including LPG vehicles and electric vehicles with 2, 3 or 4 wheels).
Only urgent services, vehicles of public interest and persons with a pass can circulate in the zones where car traffic is forbidden.
The public transport by the STIB and De Lijn is free on that day. A pass can be delivered to persons who make the demand (till 12 September 2016). Attention, this demand of dispensation must be duly motivated.
On the territory of the City of Brussels (Brussels-centre, Laeken, Haren, Neder-Over-Heembeek), certain axes will be exceptionally open to traffic:
- chaussée Romaine
- rampe Gauloise
- avenue du Tyras
- drève Saint-Landry
- avenue de Béjar
- avenue Antoon Van Oss
- chaussée de Vilvorde (between the frontier of the Brussels Region and the Buda bridge)
- digue du Canal
- chaussée de Buda
- rue du Dobbelenberg
- rue du Bruel
- rue du Witloof
- rue de la Fusée (between the frontier of the Brussels Region and the Albert I barrack)
- boulevard Léopold III (between the frontier of the Brussels Region and the NATO entrance for traffic leaving Brussels)
- avenue du Bourget (between the frontier of the Brussels Region and the NATO entrance)
Price: 5 euro per day
- vehicles of public transport (STIB, TEC, De Lijn)
- vehicles of emergency services
- vehicles of public interest
- press vehicles (with sign)
- vehicles of minibus type (8 + 1 places) bearing the initials HORECA
- disabled provided with the special card (article 27.4.3 d of the royal Order of December 1st, 1975 concerning general regulation of the road traffic police)
- vehicles with a license plate CD (diplomatic corps)
- people with a pass delivered by the authorities
A pass can be delivered to persons who make the demand (from 16 August to 12 September 2016 at 3 pm). Attention, this demand of dispensation must be duly motivated.
Demand of dispensation
Boulevard Anspach 6
Tel. : 02 279 62 60
Fax : 02 279 62 69
Pass for the Car Free Sunday only