Street artist permit
A street artist is any person who practices a public artistic activity (music, performing arts or circus), excluding any commercial activity.
Each street performer must obtain a permit of 2 years and a period of 2 months before busking on the territory of the City of Brussels.
There are two categories of permits:
- Permit relating to sound activities for services emitting an audible noise of maximum 60 dB at 3 meters from the source.
- Permit relating to quiet activities for performances that do not emit audible noise (acrobatic gymnastics, dance, mime, magic, juggling, pantomime, acrobatics, circus shows,...).
The authorisation is personal and nominative.
In the case of a group, each member must have a personal permit.
The authorisation is granted for periods of 2 fixed months (January-February or March-April,...).
A maximum of 4 two-month periods per calendar year are issued to citizens of the City of Brussels, and a maximum of 3 periods to others.
Unless derogation by the Mayor or his delegate, the number of periods relating to noisy activities is limited to 50 per month and those relating to non-noisy activities to 30 per month.
- Commitment to respect the Street artist regulation of the City of Brussels (PDF, 158.91 KB)
- Artistic diploma or positive report by the artistic jury
The City of Brussels organises auditions for street artists who do not have an artistic diploma. Before they can show off their talents to passers-by, candidates must receive a positive advice from the City's jury. Auditions take place every first Monday of the month at the Rue Sainte-Catherine 11 - 1000 Brussels, 1st floor, 'Dream Room'.
- 9 January 2023, from 2 pm to 4 pm
- 6 February 2023, from 2 pm to 4 pm
- 6 March 2023, from 2 pm to 4 pm
- 3 April 2023, from 2 pm to 4 pm
- 8 May 2023, from 2 pm to 4 pm
- 5 June 2023, from 2 pm to 4 pm
- 4 September 2023, from 2 pm to 4 pm
- 2 October 2023, from 2 pm to 4 pm
- 6 November 2023, from 2 pm to 4 pm
- 4 December 2023, from 2 pm to 4 pm
Crafts or commercial activities are not affected by the Street artist regulation.
- Online via MyBXL
- By e-mail: email@example.com
- On site, at the terminals: Rue des Halles 4 - 1000 Brussels
If you have a valid authorisation, complete the 2-month period form (between 2 and 8 weeks before the day the service starts).
If you do not have an authorisation or if it is no longer valid (2 years of validity):
- Ask for your authorisation at the earliest 8 weeks before the desired starting day and at the latest 2 weeks before the audition.
- Complete the 2-month period form (between 2 and 8 weeks before the starting day).
- ID card
- Recent photo of the artist: the photo must be recent and show the artist's face. It must be an ID card size photo (35 mm x 45 mm).
- For a 2 year authorisation: 2 weeks after the presentation of the diploma or the positive jury report
- For the permit of 2 months: 2 weeks after the introduction of the request
Street artist regulation of the City of Brussels (PDF, 158.91 KB)