Coronavirus measures

The City of Brussels has taken several decisions in order to best respect the measures of the federal government in the fight against the coronavirus (Covid-19). More info: coronavirus measures by the City of Brussels. Please note: at the Administrative Centre & liaison offices, all citizens are asked to come alone, maximum 15 minutes before the appointment time, wear a face mask (obligatory) and disinfect their hands.


Student housing

In Brussels, housing intended to be rented to university or high school students is called kots (French) or koten (Dutch).

Tax regulation

According to article 4 of the tax regulation on second homes (PDF, 341.33 KB) (where the occupant is not registered at the population register of the City), students who live in a student room do not have to pay a tax for that.

On the other hand, the tax regulation on a furnished accommodation (PDF, 340.51 KB) says that people who let this accommodation need to pay a tax.

Finding student rooms

The universities and high schools in Brussels can be contacted:

  • because they have their own student housing
  • or because they centralize the offers of student rooms by private individuals and inform about the conditions and the manners of the rent

Infor Jeunes and Brik

The French-language Infor Jeunes association informs, helps and advises young people in all areas that concern them (education, housing,...):

The Brik association offers information about the Dutch-language universities and high schools in Brussels. It has an online database of 'koten' MyKot and gives information about renting student rooms.