The City of Brussels is launching its Toilet Action Plan. This plan includes various initiatives to significantly increase the number of toilets and urinals.
Currently, 29 urinals and 14 toilets (10 in the City of Brussels and 4 in STIB) are accessible on the City's territory. The Toilet Plan includes some concrete actions to increase the number of accessible toilets:
Toilets and urinals
Eight toilets in addition to those planned by the STIB (2 in 2021, several in 2022):
- 2 new conventional toilets will be installed in 2021 at the rue Putterie and rue des Six Jetons
- 2 new dry toilets will be installed in 2021 at the square Prince Léopold and Bois de la Cambre
- 2 new conventional toilets will be installed in 2022 at the Porte d'Anvers and Place de la Chapelle
- 2 new dry toilets will be installed in 2022 at the Parc d'Egmont and another park
'Accessible toilets' network
In cooperation with the cafes and restaurants, shopkeepers and cultural and public spaces, a network of 'Accessible Toilets' is also being set up. They are invited to open their toilets to the general public. This will make an additional 50 toilets available.
'Uritrottoirs' will be used to provide a solution for several identified 'black spots'. These uritrottoirs are mobile urinals that are supposed to keep places where people regularly urinate clean. There will be 10 'uritrottoirs' distributed across the Pentagon (city centre).
In areas where uritrottoirs do not offer a solution, walls will be better protected thanks to water-repellent paint and aquadrains, and cleaning will be done more often and more efficiently to prevent odour nuisance and repeated pollution. Fourteen sites have been identified.
Temporary and portable toilets will be installed at specific locations such as the Place du Jeu de Balle (Vossenplein). Five toilets in 'festival' style will be installed throughout the city.
Visibility of the toilets
The visibility of the toilets in the public space will be improved:
- Signs will be added to the existing information posts for pedestrians
- The map with the toilets will also include the places of the 'Accessible toilets' network