Coronavirus measures

The City of Brussels has taken several decisions in order to best respect the measures of the federal government in the fight against the coronavirus (Covid-19). More info: coronavirus measures by the City of Brussels.


Change of first name

The Civil Registrar may authorise you to change your first names. This procedure is reserved for Belgians, but is extended to refugees and recognised stateless persons.

The competent Civil Registrar is:

  1. from the municipality in which the person wanting to change their first names is listed in the population register, foreigners' register or the waiting list; or failing that,
  2. from the municipality in which they last lived; or failing that,
  3. from the City of Brussels (if you were never domiciled in Belgium)

The requested first name(s) must not create confusion and may not cause harm to yourself or others.

For a minor child, both legal parents must be present.

How to apply?

Only by appointment:

Required documents?

Certain documents must be provided in order for the application to be examined:

  • A full copy of your birth certificate. If you were born abroad, an equivalent document, certified if necessary. If you are a refugee and unable to produce a birth certificate, a declaration from the Commissioner General for Refugees and Stateless Persons. If you cannot produce an acceptable civil status document, your identity must be confirmed by a ruling.
  • An extract from the police records.


The cost of the procedure is 490 euros per person.

The City of Brussels may reduce this amount to 49 euros if the first name of the citizen:

  • is ridiculous or hateful (in itself, by association with the surname or because it is old-fashioned)
  • sounds foreign
  • leads to confusion (for example, if it indicates the wrong gender or can be confused with the surname)
  • is modified only by a hyphen or a symbol that changes its pronunciation (an accent)
  • is simply abbreviated

For persons who are convinced that the sex stated on their birth certificate does not correspond to their intimate gender identity:

  • the cost is also 49 euros