Declaration of gender change

Following persons who have the conviction that the sex mentioned in their birth certificate does not correspond with their inner gender identity can make a statement of this conviction at the Civil Registry officer:

  • every adult or emancipated underage Belgian
  • every minor Belgian over the age of 16 assisted by his parents or guardian who submits a certificate from a child or adolescent psychiatrist
  • every Belgian born in Brussels or abroad who is living abroad
  • every foreigner registered in the foreigners' register of Brussels

How to apply?

Make an appointment by mail:

Required documents

  • Your birth certificate
  • A signed statement of the conviction that the sex mentioned in your birth certificate does not correspond to your inner gender identity and that you are aware of the administrative and legal consequences of the registration of the gender change in your birth certificate (document for the declaration available on the spot)
  • If you are between 16 and 18 years: the certificate of the child or adolescent psychiatrist and the presence of your parents or legal representatives


  • Free

Duration of the procedure

The procedure takes place in two phases:

  • 1st phase: declaration to the Civil Registry on the basis of the abovementioned statement. The registrar of the Civil Registry presents the file to the Public Prosecutor, who has three months to respond.
  • 2nd phase: a minimum of three months and a maximum of six months after your first declaration, you confirm this declaration and the deed of adjustment of the sex registration is drawn up.