Gender change registration

Under certain conditions, it is possible for people who have the conviction that the gender mentioned in their birth certificate does not correspond to their intimately experienced gender identity to make a declaration of this conviction to the Civil Registrar. 

  • To have one's main residence on the territory of the City of Brussels
  • Be Belgian, be a foreigner legally residing in Belgium
  • Be of age or an emancipated minor or a minor of 16 or 17 with a certificate from a child psychiatrist

Belgians living abroad must make their declaration before the Civil Status Officer of the City of Brussels

By appointment, at the counter of the Administrative Centre of the City of Brussels, to be taken by e-mail:

  • The birth certificate only for the person born abroad
  • The signed declaration stating the conviction that the sex mentioned in the birth certificate does not correspond to the gender identity experienced intimately and the wish for the administrative and legal consequences of a change in the registration of the sex in the birth certificate
  • For minors aged 16 or 17, the child psychiatrist's certificate and the presence of a parent or legal representative

Free of charge

2-step procedure:

  1. 3 months (the Civil Registrar submits the file to the Public Prosecutor)
  2. Between 3 and 6 months after the first declaration (confirmation of the declaration and transcription of the sex registration amendment act)

Last update on 31/10/2022

Link to the Your Europe portal

External site Give feedback on this page