Exemption application for the Car Free Sunday 2023
Sunday 17 September 2023 will be a car free day. On that day, vehicle traffic will be completely prohibited throughout the Brussels Capital Region between 9:30 am and 7 pm. Certain exceptional situations may nevertheless require you to make a car journey. If so, you can submit an application to the municipality to obtain an exemption.
Only emergency services, public utility vehicles (taxi, STIB,...) and people with an exemption (pass) will be able to drive in areas closed to vehicle traffic. Exemptions will be granted on the basis of a reasoned application. You will also still be allowed to travel by electric bicycle.
For individuals living in the Brussels Capital Region: be domiciled within the City of Brussels.
For individuals not living in the Brussels Capital Region: the final destination must be located within the City of Brussels.
- The business must be located within the City of Brussels
- One application must be submitted for all staff
The exemption will be valid throughout the whole Brussels Region, but only for the determined route(s) and at the authorised times.
- Foreign nationals may drive to and from their hotel upon presentation, in the event of a police check, of their hotel reservation or their plane ticket.
- Group requests for diplomatic missions and international organisations with a presence in Belgium must be submitted to the Protocol Department of the FPS Foreign Affairs.
There are two stages to this process:
For individuals and sole traders, in person, before 8 September 2023 at 1 pm:
- Only online via the External site form
For companies, before 8 September 2023 at 1 pm:
- Online via the External site form
2. Collection (an e-mail will be sent to you once the exemption is ready to be picked up):
Without appointment, at counter 59 (Zone D) of the Brucity Administrative Centre (Rue des Halles 4 - 1000 Brussels), before 15 September 2023 at 12:45 pm.
By telephone on 02 279 62 20
Proof of necessity of car travel, on a case by case basis (for example medical certificate,employer's certificate, travel documents, reservation of moving equipment,...)
Free of charge
5 working days (an e-mail will be sent to you once the exemption is ready to be picked up)
External site Mobility Week - Getting an exemption (Bruxelles Mobilité)