Marriage is the act whereby you formalize your bond in front of the Officer of the Civil Registry.
The counters are only accessible by appointment and some procedures are started by telephone. In both cases, you must make an appointment online for this. With a telephone appointment, an employee will call you at the chosen time. If necessary, he will give you an appointment at the counter during the procedure.
- Registration of legal cohabitation
- Ending a legal cohabitation
- Drawing up a marriage declaration with foreign documents (only after previous telephone contact with an employee)
Telephone or remote procedures:
- Information about legal cohabitation
- Marriage information
- Drafting of marriage certificate
- Concluding a marriage (practical arrangements for the marriage)
In order to get married in Brussels, it is necessary that one of the betrothed persons is registered in the municipality of Brussels and that the marriage declaration is drawn up within the period prescribed by law.
All weddings take place on Friday and Saturday in the City Hall at the Grand-Place. It is strictly forbidden to throw confetti and other things within or in the vicinity of the City Hall.
Are you both Belgian, born in Belgium and not married (abroad)? In that case, your ID card (x2) is sufficient to register your marriage declaration.
For all other situations, you are kindly asked to make an appointment in order to provide you with customized information.
Standard formula (15 min):
- 25 euros for the marriage declaration
- 25 euros for the marriage booklet (optional)
Courtyard formula (20 min):
- For a supplement of 250 euros you get access to the inner courtyard and the balcony, and you can choose your own time (within the specified possibilities). You can supplement this option with an extra 20 minutes (+ 250 euros).
The marriage can be celebrated between the 14th day after the marriage declaration and up to 6 months and 14 days after this date.
The City of Brussels celebrates jubilees with residence on its territory by organizing a reception in their honor on the occasion of their 50th, 60th, 65th and 70th wedding anniversary: