Registration of voters for the municipal elections
Non-Belgian citizens registered in the population register of a Belgian municipality can register on the electoral roll for the municipal elections of 13 October 2024. Deadline for registration: 31 July 2024.
Belgians (18+) registered in the population register of a Belgian municipality do not have to register for the elections. They are automatically registered on the electoral roll for all elections.
Non-Belgian citizens of the European Union must meet 4 conditions:
- holding the nationality of a member state of the European Union
- having reached the age of 18
- being registered in the population registers of the municipality where the application was submitted and
- not being in one of the cases of exclusion or suspension of the right to vote referred to in Articles 6 to 8 of the Electoral Code
Non-Belgian citizens from outside the European Union must meet 5 conditions:
- having established his/her main residence in Belgium continuously for the last 5 years
- having reached the age of 18 years
- being registered in the population registers of the municipality to which the application is submitted
- not being in one of the cases of exclusion or suspension of the right to vote referred to in Articles 6 to 8 of the Electoral Code, and
- declaring on their honour to comply with the Constitution, the laws of the Belgian people and the Convention on the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms
The conditions of age and non-exclusion or non-suspension of the right to vote must be fulfilled at the latest on the day of the elections.
Once your application is accepted, you are legally obliged to participate in the municipal elections and, if the electoral conditions are still met, in subsequent elections, unless you remove yourself from the electoral roll the day after the elections. Failure to fulfil your electoral obligations may result in sanctions. Remember to complete a proxy form if necessary.
If you have already done so in previous municipal elections and if you still meet the other electoral requirements, you do not need to reapply and will receive your invitation to vote.
Online via External site Election registration no later than 31 July 2024 (register via itsme or with eID card reader).
The Election Service responds to your questions via e-mail to email@example.com.
Please note: a European citizen registered as a voter for the municipal elections is not automatically registered on the list of voters for the European elections and vice versa. Separate procedures apply for this:
There is no fixed deadline for the municipal administration to decide on an application. Applications are bundled and submitted jointly to the Board of Mayor and Aldermen.