City centre becomes residential area
From 11 May 2020, the entire Pentagon (city centre) will become a residential area. This temporary measure should make it easier to respect social distancing and keep a distance of 1.5 m between people.
What is a residential area?
- Pedestrians are allowed to use the full width of the public road, not just the pedestrian paths.
- Vehicles are allowed, with a maximum speed of 20 km/h to ensure pedestrian priority and cyclist safety.
- Existing pedestrian zones retain their status as a pedestrian zone.
- The whole Pentagon (PDF, 310.57 KB)
How does it work?
- Measures at the residential area (PDF, 86.35 KB) (in French and Dutch)
Duration of the measure?
- 3 months
- The conversion into a residential area takes into account the measures of the National Security Council and its functioning is regularly evaluated.
- Villo! stations
- STIB stations (public transport)
- Temporary Police Traffic Order - Covid-19 - Residential area - Pentagon (PDF, 340.24 KB) (in French)