Coronavirus measures

The City of Brussels has taken several decisions in order to best respect the measures of the federal government in the fight against the coronavirus (Covid-19). More info: coronavirus measures by the City of Brussels.


Retirement pension

Most people who live in Belgium and reach the legal age of pension do not have to introduce a demand of pension.

The Federal Pensions Service will inform in writing the person concerned by the procedure of his pension. The interested will be also informed about the location of the office which assures the treatment.

If a person receives unemployment benefits or an intervention of its mutual insurance, the right for the retirement pension will also be examined.

A demand of pension is to be introduced in the following cases:

  • For persons having exceeded the legal age of the pension
  • When the pension is asked before the normal age, before the age of 65 years
  • If the pension is asked for a particular age applicable to a special regime (minors, sailors, crew of the civil aviation)

The demand of pension can be made 1 year before the start. The pension starts the 1st day of the month which follows the birthday.

The demand can be introduced with the municipal administration of residence or to the central seat of the Federal Pensions Service.

The applicant has to appear personally with his ID card and that of the husband/wife. He can also be represented if he is not capable of coming. The representative of the applicant must be major and carrier of a mandate (PDF, 28.48 KB) which will be joined to the demand. People having difficulties moving can ask for a house visit by an agent of the City.

For the inhabitants of the City of Brussels:

For more precise information on the pensions, it is necessary to address the ONP or the INASTI (for self-employed).

The Pensions Service also takes charge of introducing the demands of minimal allowances, pension after divorce and the guarantee of incomes of old persons (GRAPA).

For more information on pensions for employees, self-employed and civil servants: call 1765 (free number in Belgium).