Aid for gas or electricity shut-offs
Shutting off gas or electricity may take place from 1 June 2021. From that date, the measures against the coronavirus (Covid-19), which prohibit these shutdowns, will no longer be extended (or only for a short period). Guidance and aid exist for people in difficulty.
A closure after 31 May 2021?
Various situations can lead to a closure after 31 May 2021:
- A judgment of the 'Justice of Peace' that allows a closure due to a payment problem
- The end of a contract, served by the supplier
- Consumption without a contract
In all these cases, the user must quickly sign a new contract with a commercial supplier to avoid a supply cut-off on 1 June 2021. For water, closures are not allowed as long as the health measures are in force.
Help is always possible via:
- Infor Gaz Elec: guidance with the conclusion of a new contract
- the Public Welfare Centre (CPAS-OCMW) of your municipality: guidance with the conclusion of a new contract and financial support. For the City of Brussels (1000, 1020, 1120, 1130): Debt Mediation and Energy Service
- the free number 0800 35 243 (SocialEnergie)
- Avoid energy shut-offs: help exists! (in French, SocialEnergie)