MyBXL maintenance and telephone accessibility

Due to maintenance works, the External site MyBXL citizen portal will be unavailable from Friday 2 December at 1 pm until Saturday 3 December at 7:30 am. Interruptions are still possible on Saturday 3 December. Due to the move of the services of the City of Brussels to the new Brucity Administrative Centre (on 12 December 2022), the waiting time for a telephone answer may be temporarily longer as well.


Struggling to pay your energy bills?

Having trouble paying your energy bill (gas, electricity and water)? The Public Welfare Centre (CPAS-OCMW) of the City of Brussels can help you.

Are you no longer able to pay your gas, electricity or water bill? You do not understand the annual statement? Would you like to receive tips on how to consume less? Do you want to change energy supplier? Are you wondering whether you are entitled to the social rate?

The CPAS-OCMW can help you find a solution, for example with:

  • information and guidance on the different steps
  • help in drawing up a balanced budget arrangement to pay your invoices on time
  • help with paying off your debts
  • financial intervention if you do not have sufficient income

How to ask for help?


  • Energy Unit Brussels - Debt Mediation Service (DSB)
    Rue de la Sablonnière 2 - 1000 Brussels
    0800 35 218 (free)
    Monday to Friday: from 9 am till noon and from 1 pm to 4 pm

Energy advice and support

Created on 03/03/2022 (modified on 23/11/2022)