Short stay (maximum 3 months) of a non-EU foreigner

A non-EU foreigner (third-country national) is a foreigner who does not hold the nationality of one of the Member States of the European Union (EU) or of an assimilated country (Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, Switzerland).

Any foreigner who comes to Belgium for a short stay (maximum 3 months out of every six) must notify the local authorities in his or her place of residence in Belgium of his or her arrival within three working days, unless during his or her stay he or she is staying in a hotel (or hostel), is hospitalised or is detained in a prison/social welfare institution.

If you are staying in the City of Brussels, we invite you to register your arrival with the City of Brussels' Foreigners' Office, Rue des Halles 4 - 1000 Brussels. Make an appointment:

At your appointment, please bring the following documents:

  • Your national passport with a C visa (if you are subject to the visa requirement), or if applicable, your residence permit issued by an EU member state
  • The address you are staying at in the City of Brussels
  • One passport photo
  • 10 euros

The 'declaration of arrival' (annex 3) which covers your presence in Belgium for the duration of your visa/stay will be issued to you during this appointment.

More info?

By e-mail:

A seasonal worker in possession of a B work permit bearing the statement 'seasonal worker' issued by one of the competent Regions must declare his or her arrival to the local authorities of his or her place of residence.

If you live in the City of Brussels, you can make an appointment at the Foreigners' Office:

You must bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • Valid passport
  • B work permit
  • If required, a valid short-stay visa stating 'BNL20 - seasonal worker'

Extending the stay of a seasonal worker

A seasonal worker authorised to remain in the country for a maximum of 90 days may apply for an extension to his or her stay, provided that the stay does not exceed the maximum duration of a short stay (90 out of 180 days).

You can make an appointment to extend your stay:

You must bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • Valid passport
  • Work permit
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of adequate accommodation
  • Valid declaration of arrival (Annex 3)