There are several procedures to become Belgian.
If you are an adult, you can acquire the Belgian nationality. Conditions:
- being registered in the population register
- staying legally in Belgium for at least 5 years
- showing knowledge of one of the national languages
- showing social integration and participation in economic life
Minors can become Belgian by granting the nationality:
- if they are less than 5 years old and were born abroad of a Belgian parent who was born abroad
- if they are less than 12 years old and born in Belgium of parents who reside in Belgium for over 10 years
If you think you have an exceptional record (in sports, art, ...), you can become Belgian by naturalization. This favor is granted by the Chamber of Deputies.
How to apply?
- By email ( email@example.com) mentioning your national number as well as all the information in your possession
- By phone : 02 279 34 60
In all cases:
- Birth certificate of the applicant, translated and legalized if necessary
For applications by an adult:
- Proof of the conditions listed above
- Proof of payment of the registration fee (150 euros at the registration office after verification of the file)
- Marriage certificate with a Belgian partner + his or her nationality certificate
- Birth certificate of the child + his or her nationality certificate
- 50 euros (payment preferably with Bancontact)
- About 6 months for an application to acquire Belgian nationality (for adults)