Each death requires some administrative steps at the municipal authorities of the place where the decease took place. It mainly concerns the declaration of death, the choice of the grave and the possible purchase of a franchise. This is a task for the family members, who can ask a funeral parlor to do this for them.
The declaration of death makes it possible to make one or more death certificates and the burial or cremation permits.
How to apply?
- At the counter of the Administrative Centre of the City of Brussels
ID card of the deceased
- Optionally, the marriage certificate of the deceased
- Immediately for the death declaration
- 24h to 48h for delivering the burial or cremation permit
Each person can, in his lifetime, inform in writing his municipality of his last will for the mode of grave or destination of ashes.
How to apply?
At the counter with next document:
- Declaration concerning the choice of grave and/or rite (DOC, 54.50 KB) (in Dutch)
- Declaration concerning the choice of grave and/or rite (DOC, 55.00 KB) (in French)
- ID card
- Immediately at the counter
A death certificate proves the death and determines the identity of the deceased. This certificate is required so that the registrar may authorize the transportation and burial or cremation of the deceased.
A death certificate is issued by the City for each person deceased on the territory of the municipality. The death certificate is registered in the records of the Registry Office of the City.
Then - if necessary - the certificate is forwarded to the municipality where the deceased lived, where it is registered in the records of the Registry.
An application for an extract or copy of a death certificate is available via the e-portal.
The declaration of death and the death certificates are free of charge.
These prices do not include the costs associated with the services of the undertaker in charge of organizing the funeral. These amounts are preferably paid with Bancontact / Mister Cash.
- Municipal burial tax: 100 euro
- Stay in the municipal morgue: 30 euro per day
- Using the corpse treatment hall: 65 euro
- 15 years full soil adult: 760 euro
- 15 years full soil child or urn: 380 euro
- columbarium 15 years: 760 euro
- burial right: 760 euro
- exhumation full soil and crypt: 1,000 euro
- exhumation columbarium: free
- 50 years columbarium: 2,330 euro
- 50 years full soil child or urn second category 1 m²: 1,248 euro
- 50 years full soil adult second category under 2.40 m²: 2,496 euro
- 50 years full soil adult second category under 2.64 m²: 2,746 euro
- 50 years full soil child or urn first category: 1,958 euro
- 50 years full soil first category 2.88 m²: 3,917 euro
- third category crypt 3,85 m² - Haren: 5,236 euro
- third category crypt 6.93 m²: 9,425 euro
- second category crypt 4.13 m²: 6,443 euro
- second category crypt 3.85 m²: 6.006 euro
- first category crypt 7.84 m²: 14,661 euro
- rent common waiting crypt: 3 months: 300 euro, following 3 months: 600 euro, following 3 months: 1200 euro
- rent private waiting crypt with one place: 3 months: 750 euro
- rent private waiting crypt with 2 places: 3 months: 450 euro
- crypt opening: 65 euro
The price of each license shall be increased by 100% or 200% if the deceased did not live in the jurisdiction or the City at the time of his or her death.