Declaration of legal cohabitation
Legal cohabitation is a legal arrangement that recognizes 2 persons as legal cohabitants.
- Being adult and able to enter into a contract
- Not being married or bound by a legal cohabitation with a third
- Staying together as a family at the same address
How to apply?
- At the counter (the presence of the two cohabitants is required)
- ID documents
- Certificates proving the absence of a marriage or existing legal cohabitation
- 25 euros (payment only via Bancontact)
If you have a permanent residence in Belgium, the registration of legal cohabitation will happen as soon as the necessary documents are produced.
End of the legal cohabitation
Legal cohabitation can be ended:
- By mutual agreement
- By the marriage or the death of one of the cohabitants
- One-sidedly by one of the cohabitants by means of a written statement against receipt to the Officer of the Registry office. The end of the agreement will then have to be notified to the other party by a bailiff. The procedure is carried out by the Municipal Administration at the expense of the applicant. Once the procedure has ended, the cessation will be officially written in the population register.