Change of name certificate
The change of name certificate is a document issued by a civil registrar that proves the change of name.
This certificate is drawn up after a procedure before the Federal Public Service of Justice, following the publication of a Royal Decree authorising the change of name.
The requested document must have been drawn up or transcribed in Belgium, or filed with the Federal Public Service for Foreign Affairs before 2004.
- Online via MyBXL: for a certificate for yourself
- By e-mail (with a copy of your ID card, the type of certificate you want and/or a mandate if necessary):
- By letter
- At the counter of the Administrative Centre of the City of Brussels or the Liaison Offices of Laeken and Neder-Over-Heembeek
ID document (+ mandate and a copy of the identity document of the person concerned if the application is made by a third party)
- 20 euros to be paid to the FPS Foreign Affairs for the legalisation if the document is to be used abroad (outside the European Union)
If the certificate is to serve in Belgium:
- immediately via MyBXL (unless the document has not yet been digitised in the Civil Status Acts Database (BAEC))
- immediately at the counter
- 5 working days for a request by e-mail
If the certificate is to serve abroad (outside the member states of the European Union):
- 5 working days via MyBXL and at the counter
- 7 working days for a request by e-mail
If the certificate has been submitted to the FPS Foreign Affairs before 2004:
- 10 working days