Foreign certificates and judgments
If you want to register a foreign certificate (deed) or judgment in the National Register, you must make an appointment with the Foreign Certificates Service (only for persons registered in the population register - Belgian cards, residence permits E+, F+, C, D).
The service is available:
- by phone on 02 279 34 50
- or by e-mail: email@example.com
The relevant certificates are:
- foreign marriage certificates or foreign decisions of divorce
- foreign birth certificates for the recognition of children
- any foreign certificate or judgment changing the personal status (for example: a certificate of name change, a change of a date of birth,...)
Please note: an appointment with the Population Service is required in the following cases:
- the registration of the birth certificate of a child born abroad
- removal from the National Register of a member of the family who died abroad (with a foreign death certificate)
Please note: you must go to the Foreigners' Office if you are registered in the foreigners' register.
How to apply?
Only by appointment:
- make an appointment online
- or by phone at 02 279 22 11
- ID card
- Original certificate or judgment (legalized or with an apostille)
- Translation of the submitted documents by a sworn translator if the certificate or judgment is not in French or Dutch
- Documents required in accordance with Article 327/2 of the Civil Code for the recognition of a child born abroad