Foreign certificates and judgments

If you want to register a foreign certificate (deed) or judgment in the National Register, you must make an appointment with the Foreign Certificates Service.

The relevant certificates are:

  • the foreign marriage certificates or foreign decisions of divorce
  • any foreign certificate or judgment changing the personal status (for example, a certificate of name change)

Please note: an appointment with the Population Service is required in the following cases:

  • the registration of the birth certificate of a child born abroad
  • a date of birth modification
  • removal from the National Register of a member of the family who died abroad (with a foreign death certificate)

How to apply?

Only by appointment:

Required documents

  • ID card
  • Original certificate or judgment (legalized or with an apostille)
  • Translation of the submitted documents by a sworn translator if the certificate or judgment is not in French or Dutch