Skip to main content

Registration of a sufficient means of existence holder (EU citizen)

Are you a European citizen or assimilated (national of Switzerland, Iceland, Lichtenstein or Norway), do you have sufficient means of subsistence and are you staying on the territory of the City of Brussels?

If you intend to reside in Belgium for more than 3 months and establish your main residence there, you must contact the administration of the City of Brussels to register.

  • European citizen or assimilated
  • Establish your main residence on the territory of the City of Brussels (precise address: street name, house number, possible mailbox number)
  • Have sufficient means of subsistence (retired, 'person living off interest', volunteer, employee in a neighbouring country but residing in Brussels, or be financially dependent on a third party or his/her de facto cohabitant) 

With an online taken appointment only, at the counter of the Administrative Centre of the City of Brussels or the liaison office of Louise.

Registration is done in several steps:

  • Application for registration certificate (annex 19): once you have proved your EU citizenship or equivalent, you will be entered in the 'Waiting Register' and given your application for registration certificate. From that moment, you will have 3 months to provide all the required documents, unless you can produce them immediately. In this case, you will be issued with a provisional document certifying your registration (Annex 8ter) which is valid for 45 days. 
  • Residence check: the police is responsible for carrying out this check. A neighbourhood officer will go to the declared address to establish your actual presence there. If the check is positive, you will be registered at the address and in the 'Register of Foreigners'.
  • EU card: when you have obtained your registration (Annex 8ter) and the address check is positive, you can make an appointment to order your EU card. 

  • National passport or national identity card
  • 1 recent (6 months maximum) External siteICAO compliant passport photo
  • Health care coverage in Belgium

Depending on your profile, other documents must be provided:

  • Retired or invalid: retirement or invalidity certificate with specification of the monthly amount 
  • 'Person living off interest': proof of sufficient means of existence (proof of ownership of property, account statement that shows you have sufficient capital)
  • Person who is financially dependent on a third person: proof of sufficient income of the guarantor (for example: pay slips), proof of acceptance of the costs by the guarantor
  • Volunteer: proof of sufficient means of existence
  • Employee in a neighbouring country: contract of employment + 3 last pay slips 
  • Self-employed person in a neighbouring country: accounting document that shows the average monthly income
  • Secondment contract: proof of sufficient means of existence 

26 euros

The Immigration Office will decide on your application within 6 months of submission if all the required documents have been provided and if the registration at the declared address is positive. 


Last update on 31/10/2022

Link to the Your Europe portal

External siteGive feedback on this page