Act of name choice notification
Parents can give their children the name of the father/co-parent, the name of the mother, or a combination of the two names, in any order they wish.
- via MyBXL
- in case of absolute necessity: at the counter and by appointment on 02 279 62 10
This declaration is made within a period of one year from the date of acknowledgment, and is established in an act of declaration of name choice.
The requested document must have been drawn up or transcribed in Belgium, or filed with the Federal Public Service for Foreign Affairs before 2004.
How to apply?
- Online via MyBXL: for a certificate for yourself
- By e-mail (with a copy of your ID card, the type of certificate you want and/or a mandate if necessary):
- By letter
- At the counter of the Administrative Centre of the City of Brussels or the Liaison Offices of Laeken and Neder-Over-Heembeek
ID document (+ mandate and a copy of the identity document of the person concerned if the application is made by a third party)
- 20 euros to be paid to the FPS Foreign Affairs for the legalization if the document is to be used abroad (outside the European Union)
If the certificate is to serve in Belgium:
- immediately via MyBXL (unless the document has not yet been digitized in the Civil Status Acts Database (BAEC))
- immediately at the counter
- 5 working days for a request by e-mail
If the certificate is to serve abroad (outside the member states of the European Union):
- 5 working days via MyBXL and at the counter
- 7 working days for a request by e-mail
If the certificate has been submitted to the FPS Foreign Affairs before 2004:
- 10 working days