The death certificate is a certificate issued by a Civil Status officer which proves the death of a person.
- in case of absolute necessity: at the counter and by appointment on 02 279 62 10
The civil registrar of the place of death draws up this death certificate as soon as a death certificate drawn up by a doctor is submitted to him or her.
The requested document must have been drawn up or transcribed in Belgium, or filed with the Federal Public Service for Foreign Affairs before 2004.
How to apply?
- By e-mail (with a copy of your ID card, the type of certificate you want and/or a mandate if necessary):
- By letter
- At the counter of the Administrative Centre of the City of Brussels or the Liaison Offices of Laeken and Neder-Over-Heembeek
ID document (+ mandate and a copy of the identity document of the person concerned if the application is made by a third party)
- 20 euros to be paid to the FPS Foreign Affairs for the legalization if the document is to be used abroad (outside the European Union)
If the certificate is to serve in Belgium:
- immediately at the counter
- 5 working days for a request by e-mail
If the certificate is to serve abroad (outside the member states of the European Union):
- 5 working days at the counter
- 7 working days for a request by e-mail
If the certificate has been submitted to the FPS Foreign Affairs before 2004:
- 10 working days