Departure abroad (removal)

If you plan to leave the Belgian territory to settle in another country, you must report your departure to the Population Service. In this way, the departure will be registered in the population registers. The Proof of removal from the national register (model 8) will then be issued to you.


To have one's main residence on the territory of the City of Brussels

How to apply?

The procedure is the same for Belgian and foreign citizens.

This is the last administrative step that must be taken the day before your departure.

You can notify us of your departure:

Required documents

Identity card or residence permit



Waiting period


Social protection abroad?

More information about your rights:

External site Overseas Social Security

Last update on 30/06/2023

Link to the Your Europe portal

External site Give feedback on this page