If you wish to travel beyond the borders of the European Union (EU), you usually need a passport. The passport is a travel document that is required to travel in all countries where the ID card is not sufficient as a travel document.
Before your departure you should check which document is required for your destination country.
How to apply?
- Make an appointment (except for urgent procedures and the collection of passports)
- ID card
- Old passport or police certificate of theft
- A photo (will be taken at the counter of the Administrative Centre)
- For the passport of a minor:
- ID card of the parent who accompanies the child (+ ID card of the child). This parent must be the parent with whom the child is staying.
- If the child is under guardianship: the judgment proving that the guardian may request a passport for the child
- Normal procedure: 90 euros (above 18 years) or 60 euros (under 18 years)
- Urgent procedure: 260 euros (above 18 years) or 230 euros (under 18 years)
- Payment preferably with Bancontact
- 8 working days (normal procedure)
- The day following the request if it was done before 15h (urgent procedure)
Collection of a passport
Upon request, passports can be collected in the liaison offices of Laeken, Neder-Over-Heembeek or the Louise quarter. This procedure leads to an additional waiting period of 2 to 3 days.
Passport for Belgian nationals with residence abroad
A Belgian national with residence abroad can obtain a passport at the Belgian Consulate of the country where he or she lives. If he or she stays temporarily in Belgium, he/she can also obtain the passport at:
- his/her last place of residence in Belgium
- his/her municipality of birth (if he or she has never lived in Belgium before)
- the municipality of his/her choice (if he or she has never lived in Belgium before and was not born in Belgium)
This passport will allow him or her to travel to another country or to return to his country of residence.
It is possible to obtain a temporary passport. This is only the case for emergencies. For example for a humanitarian reason, a death abroad,... This has to be proven by a document.
The applicant can address the Federal Public Service of Foreign Affairs to obtain this temporary passport.