There are several ways of street trading on the territory of the City of Brussels: a trader can register for a market in the city, apply for an individual location in the public space, participate in fairs, rummage sales, flea markets or temporary events. All these places are managed through a regulation and supervised by the Trade Unit.
Wearing a face mask is required at the markets.
These markets reopened:
- Anneessens market from Tuesday 19 May
- Place Sainte Catherine organic market from Wednesday 20 May
- Peter Benoit and Rue de Wand markets from Friday 22 May
- Place Sainte Catherine market from Saturday 23 May
- Chaussée d'Anvers market from Wednesday 3 June (from 8 am to 2 pm)
- Bockstael market from Saturday 6 June (from 8 am to 1:30 pm, at the Place Willems)
- Sablon antiques market from Saturday 13 June
- Place du Jeu de Balle market from Sunday 21 June:
- opening hours: Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am to 2 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 9 am to 3 pm
- hydroalcoholic gel is available to the customers
- Anneessens bicycle market: from Sunday 12 July (opening hours: Sunday from 8 am to 2 pm)
- Place Agora artisan market: from Friday 17 July (opening hours: Friday from 11 am to 7 pm, and Saturday and Sunday from 10 am to 7 pm)
Access to the markets is organized by the municipal authorities, so as to respect the rules of social distancing, in particular the maintenance of a distance of 1.5 meters between each person, as well as the appropriate prevention measures, which are at least equivalent to those in the Guide for the opening of shops.
Traders can use a 'restart pack' offered by the City (masks, gel, posters). Contact:
- 02 279 25 20
Stands on markets
The City of Brussels organizes a dozen of outdoor markets. Some of them offer food, others are more artistic, such as the Antique Market on the Sablon, the market at the Jeu de Balle, the craft market at the Place Agora,...
Some stands are dedicated to a specific product. There are two ways to occupy a place in a market:
- per subscription: the applications may be submitted after notification of a vacancy or at any other time
- from day to day (at least 5% of the total number of places), upon presentation of the authorization of the Trade Unit the places are given by drawing lots at the opening of the market. The place is to be paid on the spot.
Stands in public space
On the territory of the City, around 170 places are intended for the itinerant trade, including a Food Truck Trail (with about 20 places which are used in rotation), kiosks, ice cream sales, stands during matches at the King Baudouin Stadium,... The list of these sites is constantly evolving and has been approved by the Board of Mayor and Aldermen. Candidacies can be submitted to the Commercial Events Unit following an announcement of a free space or at any other time.
Commercial Events Unit
Stands at fairs
The City of Brussels organizes fairs on its territory, such as the Midi Fair, the fair of Laeken,... The travelling fair operators can get a contract for 5 years for a spot or apply for a free spot. Candidacies can be submitted to the Commercial Events Unit following an announcement of a free spot.
Commercial Events Unit
Stand at rummage sales, flea markets and other festivities
To obtain a spot near an event, an application should be submitted at least 4 weeks before the event accompanied by a written consent of the organizer of the event.
If the location is just inside the perimeter of the event, then the application should be submitted directly to the organizer of the event.
The Commercial Events Unit will give you the contact details of the organizers and the perimeter of the event.
To register for a market, fair or public space?
In order to get a stand at a market, fair or in public space, an application must be submitted to the Markets Unit or the Commercial Events Unit of the City, either directly at their counter or through a registered letter.
Every application shall be accompanied by the application form and the documents that are listed in this form.
- Prior administrative declaration for registration on the markets of the City of Brussels
- Authorization of occupation for occasional location assigned to the exercise of itinerant trade (PDF) (in French)
Commercial Events Unit
Call for candidates
The City of Brussels regularly publishes notices of free sites for its fairs, markets and itinerant trade. The list of current notifications and deadlines can be found here.
- Candidature Food Truck Trail (PDF, 152.20 KB) (in French)