Skip to main content

International driving licence

Before travelling to a country outside the European Union, you need to check whether that country recognises your national Belgian or European driving licence. If this is not the case, you will need to apply for an international driving licence to drive on public roads.

The international driving licence must always be accompanied by your valid national driving licence.

The duration of the international driving licence is linked to the period of validity of your national driving licence, but cannot exceed 3 years.

  • Your main residence must be located in the City of Brussels
  • You must hold a valid Belgian or European driving licence
  • If you hold a European driving licence, it must be registered in advance in order to obtain an international driving licence
  • You must not be disqualified from driving

These are the general requirements. Once submitted, each application is assessed individually by the City services. Special conditions may apply. 

By appointment, at the counter of the Brucity Administrative Centre or the liaison offices of Laeken, Louise and Neder-Over-Heembeek. You can External sitemake an appointment online via MyBXL

  • ID card or residence card
  • Valid Belgian or European driving licence
  • Old international driving licence, if applicable, or proof of loss or theft. If your licence has been stolen, you must report it to the police.
  • One recent passport-size photo on a white background to External siteICAO standards, less than six months old

30 euros 


Please note: if you hold a European driving licence, it must have been registered previously.

External siteDriving licence (FPS Mobility and Transport) 


Last update on 11/03/2024

Link to the Your Europe portal

External siteGive feedback on this page