Information and sensitisation - cleaning
Several services work on public cleaning on the territory of the City of Brussels. Throughout the year, the Cleaning Service of the City of Brussels works on informing and raising awareness about a clean city. Would you like flyers, pocket ashtrays or would you like to propose a project? Please contact the service via 0800 901 07 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Several services work on public cleaning on the territory of the City of Brussels.
Public Cleaning Service of the City of Brussels
The Public Cleaning Service has several tasks:
- daily: cleaning streets and sidewalks, emptying of public bins, removal of illegal dumping, sewer cleaning, removal of tags and graffiti, maintenance of public bins, urinals and toilets, dog toilets,...
- periodically: clean the public space during markets, during or after public events and providing bins and containers for public events
- seasonal: collecting leaves, selective weeding, scattering of salt in winter
There is also a team of mediators to serve the residents: they are responsible for the applications that arrive by email or phone, and they are present in the field for raising awareness, but also during specific actions or events.
Fifty sworn officers can also give penalties for violations related to cleaning (illegal dumping, putting garbage bags on the streets outside the allowed hours or days, disposal of small waste, dog dirt,...).
Regional Cleaning Agency Bruxelles-Propreté
The Regional Cleaning Agency Bruxelles-Propreté is responsible for:
- the collection of household waste on the territory of the City (just like the other municipalities of Brussels)
- the installation and emptying of the glass containers
- the cleaning of regional roads
- the cleaning of some neighborhoods (Chaussée d'Anvers, Pentagon, southern part of the Northeast quarter, Louise and Roosevelt)
Green Spaces Unit of the City of Brussels
The Green Spaces Unit is responsible for the maintenance and cleaning of the municipal parks.
The Bruxelles Environnement regional service is responsible for the maintenance and cleaning of the regional parks.
STIB and SNCB
These public transport companies assure the cleaning of their infrastructures.
The Cleaning Service mediators have daily contact with the population: in addition to managing the complaints received by mail or telephone, they are also available on site and sensitize residents during specific actions or public events.
The mediators also conduct regular campaigns to remind people of the rules regarding garbage.
Communication campaign - 'The Heroes of Every Day'
In May 2017, the 'Heroes of Every Day' campaign started. The purpose of this campaign is to increase appreciation for the workers of the Cleaning Service, who are usually invisible to most people but perform an indispensable task. They are on site for 365 days a year and work continuously to make the City of Brussels comfortable for residents and visitors (commuters, tourists,...).
- Posters - communication campaign - Les Héros du quotidien (PDF, 4.68 MB)
Next videos show the street sweepers of the City of Brussels at work, under the following slogan (in French): the Cleaning Service of the City, that is more than 300 people on the site, 365 days a year. Thank you for showing respect for their work.
Each year the Cleaning Service works with a non-profit organization, on a voluntary basis, to organize activities in primary and secondary schools on the territory of the City of Brussels. These fun and free activities are meant to inform children and young people about cleaning and respect for public space:
- GoodPlanet - our actions (zero waste coaching, cleaning reporters,...)
- Regional Agency Bruxelles-Propreté - school education (cleaning events for schools)
At the end of 2018, students from the Institut De Mot-Couvreur thus realized the video Do not feed the waste monster!. The video has to make people aware of the amount of waste thrown on the ground.
(Accessibility of the contents of the video: the video contains no dialogue, only background music and following texts, in French and Dutch: Do not feed the waste monster! / Public cleaning, everyone's business / Carried out by the students of the 5th SSE of the De Mot-Couvreur Institute in Brussels with the help of GoodPlanet Belgium and the Cleaning Service of the City of Brussels).
In areas with a district contract, such as the Bockstael district (2014-2017), the City takes additional street sweepers, but also Cleaning Coordinators who develop local initiatives around cleaning. At district level, they play the role mediators play on the whole territory of the City.