Long stay (more than 3 months) of a non-EU foreigner

A non-EU foreigner (third-country national) is a foreigner who does not hold the nationality of one of the Member States of the European Union (EU) or of an assimilated country (Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, Switzerland).

Non-EU nationals who wish to stay in Belgium for a period of more than 90 days (long stay) must be in possession of a temporary residence permit issued by the Belgian diplomatic or consular post abroad (in the form of a D visa) or by the Immigration Office in Belgium.

They must bring the following documents with them when registering:

  • valid passport with a D visa
  • valid passport and a temporary residence permit issued by the Immigration Office, a medical certificate and a Criminal Record extract

For information relating to the procedures to obtain or renew a residence permit, please consult the following pages: