Operating a business

The City of Brussels offers a number of services for the smooth operation of businesses.

The energy crisis is having an impact on many companies, businesses and self-employed in Brussels. What measures are already in place to limit the effects?

New tunnels, a new metro, a new pedestrian zone,... In the coming years there will be a number of works in Brussels intended to beautify and modernize the City, but which can provide short-term nuisance to local residents and traders. These works are both at the initiative of the City or the Region as by companies as Vivaqua, Sibelga, STIB,...

More information about the nuisance at the regional level:

External site Bruxelles Mobilité

Compensation for traders

This compensation is intended for businesses in Brussels located in or next to a yard that interrupts traffic or public transport, in at least one direction, for at least 29 consecutive days. It is reserved for companies active in certain sectors:

External site Compensation during a yard (in French)

Numerous areas are very well served by public transport.

The City also encourages the rotation of the parking spaces by arranging paying parking zones.

Brussels also has a large number of public car parks.

In the Pentagon (city centre) and at the Porte de Namur, the businesses are allowed to be open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week because the City got a recognition as a tourist zone.

In the other quarters of Brussels, the shops are allowed to stay open 15 Sundays per year based on a calendar that is set by the Board each year:

Exceptions to the weekly rest day 2023 (PDF, 112.63 KB)

The sales period ('soldes') is set at the federal level each year:

External site FPS Economy - Sales (in French)

Trade associations organize about twenty rummage sales or flea markets (brocantes) to animate the commercial districts. These events are regulated and subject to the approval of the City:

Calendar of rummage sales and flea markets

To ensure the tranquility of all users of the city, the terraces are well regulated, with frequent checks, including evenings or weekends.

Only the food catering businesses (hotels, restaurants and cafes) can apply for a terrace permit annually, provided that they are in line with the regulation of the sector.

However, other businesses can, in some cases get an authorization for a shop window or a billboard.

For the UNESCO zone, there are specific restrictions.

Event-related authorizations can be issued as well:


Such authorizations are subject to the payment of a fee. More information via the Horeca Unit.

To promote the use of less polluting alternatives to heaters, the City of Brussels is offering bars and restaurants with outdoor terraces a premium for the purchase of textile alternatives to heaters, such as plaids, blankets, heating cushions,...

A permit is required to place a sign for your business.

Below you will find a checklist with all the documents needed to put together a complete file. Once your file has been compiled, you can drop it off or send it by registered mail:

Submitting a demand for a planning permit (certificate)

More info:

All over the city there are parking spaces specifically reserved for deliveries.

Traders, companies and their employees can also use the paid parking spaces by buying a professional exemption card.

Joint delivery solutions exist as well and minimize the impact on traffic and the environment. The CityDepot project might have a solution that meets your needs:

External site CityDepot

At the Marolles

All traders must sign a contract for the disposal of their commercial waste. Both the Bruxelles-Propreté (Net Brussel) service as several private companies offer this service. The Horeca Unit and the regional Bruxelles Environnement service organize regular checks.

Waste by trade

Several (local) authorities can help to identify the available programs for training staff or to develop training programs that meet the needs of a specific sector:


For traders and entrepreneurs, there are specific taxes and fees. It involves, for example:

  • taxes on industrial, commercial and agricultural companies
  • taxes on shows and entertainment
  • taxes on signboards

More info:

Municipal taxes

Last update on 16/10/2023

Link to the Your Europe portal

External site Give feedback on this page